Sunday, March 14, 2010

Choose the right JavaScript Library

I have been redeveloping the Jit Publisher CMS, and part of this has been looking at the framework. A lot of developers will focus on the server side framework and then coble in JavaScript as needed. This can make your JavaScript very bulky and even cause conflicts.

I spent a lot of time researching the available libraries and finally settled on jQuery. I did this because it is an open source library with a multitude of plug-ins available.

  • I now have jQuery UI elements in my admin UI
  • The Superfish Menu system (built using Suckerfish logic and then pimping it out with jQuery
  •  I’m using JStree (also uses jQuery) for my Trees
  •  I plan to leverage jQuery for any future modules that may need development
  •  Even my WYSIWYG has jQuery plug-in version
My only problem with jQuery is that the user documentation can be a bit hard to get your head around at first, but once you get it, all subsequent plug-ins and implementations are a lot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment