It seems like the idea of using Social Networking for Marketing is getting a lot of attention and hype in most blogging and marketing circles. Even Google have admitted that Social Networks influence a pages ranking in search results. Just because people are talking about it, doesn’t mean that it’s all “flowers and sunshine”, before you jump on the bandwagon... do your research.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Social Networking to market your brand?
Advantages of Social Networking
- Social Networking is a powerful medium to reach many new potential clients.
- It will give potential clients a personal interface.
- Social networking can be great for boosting your websites Search Engine Rankings.
- Maintain contact with existing clients and keep them updated on new development or products. At a subconscious level, repeated exposure to your brand builds confidence in it.
Disadvantages of Social Networking
- It will require a lot of research and hard work.
- You have little or no control over what people say about your product or brand, but this is true whether or not you get involved.
- People in Social networks will expect personal interaction to a degree, and not just corporate jargon.
- If you don’t know what you are doing, and make a big mistake it can hurt your brand (like this Facebook marketing nightmare).
- Don’t spread yourself too thin, start with a twitter account or maybe a facbook page, and grow from there.
- Most web users hate spam, so you will need to provide interesting and useful original content and information.
- Do your homework, or get a proffesional to help you (or this could be you).